Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Living Room Refresh on a Budget

The crisis has been averted.  You can all breathe a sigh of relief.  I know the worry was keeping some of you up at night ...

The book group did not have to sit on boxes during the meeting at my house last week.

Phew, right? 

Other than a few tweaks here and there, I was able to get the living room unpacked and finished.  I'm still working to get the rest of the house in order in time for the Dining for Women meeting on Saturday, but progress has been made!

One big obstacle I have is I still don't have my dining room table. Kind of a problem for a dining event, don't you think? When the packers moved the furniture out to refinish the floors, they broke the table.  They've had it for weeks, and I still don't have it back.  They also lost the pegs that hold the shelves in the china cabinet.  You guessed it--that means I have unpacked boxes of china in the dining room.

Supposedly it's fixed (I've heard that before), and will be delivered tomorrow (keeping my fingers crossed).  At that time they'll pick up the buffet table they broke, which I won't get back in time for Saturday ... 

Uh oh ... I'm starting to hyperventilate again ...

So I'll stop thinking about all of that and show you my "refreshed" living room.

Here's what it looked like before (well, the "before" when it had furniture in it).



And here's what it looks like now.




The only thing new is the sofa.  Which I told you about here. 




The coffee table is this $25 Craigslist find that I painted white. I kept some of the same pieces that were in the room before, but I moved them around.  






Everything else I had in other rooms.  I love shopping my own house--it's so economical!




I moved the rug in from the family room ... which of course necessitates a family room refresh!  I have a couple of big projects planned for that, so that reveal will have to wait awhile.




The round table has a burlap cloth from Ballard Designs on it.  The table on the other side of the sofa is a Craigslist find from a couple of years ago. I did a Gustavian paint treatment on it.



The chair next to the round table is from Miss Mustard Seed.  I bought it at a Lucketts Market a few years ago.  I have a chair I've been planning on painting to go with it, but it keeps dropping to the bottom of my "to-do" list.




I added a glass decanter I found at Goodwill to the crystal one I already had on the sideboard I'm using as a bar, and polished up an old silver tray to hold some bottles. I'm keeping an eye out for one or two more decanters.




And of course, little vignettes here and there.  I usually switch them out seasonally ... or whenever I get bored!







I like the lighter look with the dark coffee table and side table gone--it brightens up the room. There are still some projects I want to do, but it looks much better than the last time I showed it to you!





And with everything mainly white or neutral, I can change out pillows, throws and accessories whenever the mood strikes.

Now on to the rest of the house!


Sharing at:
Savvy Southern Style: Wow Us Wednesday
DIY by Design: Sizzle into Summer
Elizabeth & Co: Be Inspired
Coastal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
The Farmhouse Porch: Cowgirl Up!
Faded Charm: White Wednesday
No Minimalist Here: Open House Party
French Country Cottage: Feathered Nest Friday
2805: Potpourri Party
Between Naps on the Porch: Metamorphis Monday
My Romantic Home: Show & Tell Friday








19 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I knew you'd bring things together in time. Sometimes having a deadline helps things get finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deborah: I love this room! I like that it feels uncluttered but styled very nicely. The rug is very pretty, and I love the bar area. Well done--I don't know how you did it all so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks so light and pretty in there! the table is my favorite piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can picture it ... Running around fluffing and primping ... Playing Musical Chairs with furniture from each room of your house to get this room finished. Glad it worked out, and I really like the results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING! I LOve that coffee table and the rug under it:) Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely elegantly balanced. The crystal and silver repeated is a touch of genius, as are the plant stands. Well done. Did you finish the book?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty room! I love craigslist too.
    ♥Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your room! I especially love the rug...I have the same exact one from Ballard's in my living room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have excellent taste - owning a Miss Mustard Seed original! Beautiful room. I love that rug too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks beautiful! I especially like the small frames leaned up against the mirror. I like a "layered" look! Life to the full to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simpy beautiful. Everything is pulled together and flows so well. I love you $25 coffee table. I am looking for one just like that. I am tired of an ottoman coffee table. I'd like to do a big puzzle this Christmas with the kids. :) I love your rug too....very cool! Happy to be a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The rug is beautiful it's my fav! Next to that gorgeous french chair of course. However, everything is lovely and you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. your room looks lovely. love your choice of color and placement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I found you at the Open House party at No Minimalist Here. I'm always rearranging my living room. Your new arrangment is my favorite living room arrangement. It's so cozy and inviting. I'll be following your blog to keep getting inspiration.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this is so pretty! And I'm a big fan of round coffee tables!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Deborah!

    Great job on everything! You really did a wonderful job on all of your items. Love the white. I know some don't, but white always screams "fresh and clean" to me!

    Really beautiful!

    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an absolutely gorgeous room. I will be featuring this tonight at my Sizzle into Summer party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thank-you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to write a note. Please make sure your email is on your profile if you would like a reply.

-Deborah